The Definition of Wealth
I think everyone has their own definition of what being "Rich" means. According to MTV Cribs being "Rich" definitely includes stripper poles and 60" plasma screens. To me, being rich means being able to claim the hours of the day for myself. When I am rich, I will spend the majority of my time doing only what I want to do, accomplishing the goals that I really care about. I definitely wont spend any time making anyone else rich (unless of course I decided I wanted to do that).
Don't take this to mean that I don't love my job. I get paid great to do a job I love. If I were rich, I would definitely still spend a lot of my time doing exactly the same thing. The difference will be that I will be working with goals that I want to accomplish in mind, not someone else's.
Their is a range of money that would set me free. If I woke up tomorrow with 750k in the bank I would continue to work. I would invest that money (probably in international ETF's) and hope for 10% returns (of course, I would have stop losses in place). Assuming I got 10% returns I would continue to work for at least the next 5 years. In five years, I'd have 1,207,882.50.
I would take the .2 off that number and build a brand new house somewhere cheap (and near family). 207 thousand is not enough to live like a king anywhere in the US, but it is enough to build a great new house in a lot of places. I would take the rest of that 1,000,000 and plow it back into ETF's. Without a mortgage, I could definatley live off of .6 percent of that (which would mean I was growing the pool enough to cover inflation, assuming 10% growth still). If I got lucky in the market and experienced more than 10% growth, I would move those profits to safer and safer places.
It would be great if I had lots of readers (or any at all for that matter) because I'd love to hear how much other people would need, and how they would manage it.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home